19 Kasım 2012 Pazartesi

Poppy, Sesame Seed Challah = The Best Egg Sandwich EVER!

To contact us Click HERE
When I saw the Cake Duchess'  Poppy Seed Challah recipe for October's #TwelveLoaves challenge, my jaw just about hit the floor!  Lora's round challah loaf was just about the prettiest thing I'd ever seen!

It was at that moment when I knew that I wanted mine to TASTE exactly like how hers LOOKED!!!

I assembled my ingredients and followed Lora's instructions to a T...almost. The only thing I did do differently was that I added some sesame seeds in addition to the poppy seeds that the recipe calls for.
Other than that, I really did follow along and play nicely.


As I started to bake, my mind began to think about all the wonderful things I could do with my soon to be completed challah. Then, I hit upon the idea of using it for egg sandwiches that evening. DING! Because of this that I decided to make mine into a long loaf and not a pretty ring as Lora had done. It just so happened to be a Thursday, and Thursday evenings are (more times that not) breakfast for dinner nights at our house.

Trust me when I tell you, THIS is the best egg sandwich EVER!


I encourage you to make at least the challah yourself, and the egg sandwich if you want the complete and total admiration from your family! :)

POPPY, SESAME SEED CHALLAH

For the dough:
1 package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water (110 degrees)
1/3 cup sugar
5 1/2 - 6 cups all purpose flour
3 eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
2 teaspoons salt

-In a stand mixer with the dough hook attachment (or a large bowl with a wooden spoon), add the warm water and the yeast. Stir until the yeast has dissolved.
-Add the sugar and mix/stir about a minute.
-Slowly mix in 1 cup of the flour until it is almost combined.
-In a small bowl, add the eggs and whisk slightly to combine.
-Add the eggs to the flour/yeast mixture and mix well.




-Slowly add the remainder of the flour and mix well until all of the flour is completely incorporated.
-Continue to mix (knead) on low speed for at least 10 minutes. (If you're not using a mixer, take the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead by hand).  The dough will be slightly sticky but still firm.


-Place the dough into another bowl that has been lightly oiled.
-Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place (I use the oven that has been previously preheated at a very low temperature) at least 1 1/2 hours.


-Meanwhile, make the filling.

For the filling:
1 1/2 cups minced onion
4 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons poppy seeds
3 tablespoons sesame seeds
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

-In a small saucepan over medium heat, add all the ingredients and cook stirring occasionally for 5 minutes.
-Remove from the heat and allow to cool until you're ready to assemble your challah.


 -When the dough has doubled, punch down and divide the dough in half.
-On a floured surface, press/roll each half into approximately 14" x 9" rectangles (this does not need to be exact, just make sure each piece is approximately the same length).
-Place the filling lengthwise in the middle of the dough allowing at least 1- 1/2" of dough to remain clean (without filling).



-Fold the top and bottom third of dough up and over the filling.
-Use water to press the dough firmly and close the seam.



-Set the dough (you may need a LARGE spatula to help move the dough) to one side of a parchment lined baking sheet.
-Continue the same process with the second bit of dough and the remaining filling.
-Place this dough right next to the other dough log onto the parchment lined baking sheet.
-Carefully and taking your time, gently twist the two logs together as best you can (don't forget to use the water to "glue" the dough together if needed).
-Don't be afraid to reshape the dough with your hands if it becomes oddly shaped. Now is the time to work with it and show it who's boss :)



-Now you can let you dough rest in a warm place and rise for another 1 hour (approximately) until it puffs up nicely.
-Remove the dough from the oven (if you've used it for the rise) and preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

For the egg wash and topping:

1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon poppy seeds
1 tablespoon sesame seeds

-Whisk together the egg and the water and brush the surface of the challah.
-Liberally sprinkle the poppy and sesame seeds to the top of the loaf.


-Bake the challah for 40-45 minutes or until the bread is a lovely, deep golden brown.
-Remove to a wire rack and allow to cool completely before slicing.



POPPY, SESAME SEED CHALLAH EGG SANDWICHES

Slice the challah into 1/2" slices
Eggs (for as many sandwiches as you are making)
salt and pepper
American Cheese (2 slices per sandwich)
Softened butter.

-For each sandwich, butter the outsides of each slice of challah with butter.
-Fry your eggs as you like them.
-With the butter side down, add a slice of cheese to the challah slice, add the egg, top with more cheese and add the top slice of the challah butter side up.
-In a large skillet on medium high heat, grill each sandwich until it is beautifully browned.
*Please note, I made many because I wanted the leftovers for my son to take home and for my husband to bring to work the next day.* From what I'm told, they re-heated beautifully!


-As I completed the sandwiches, I added them to a baking sheet and kept them warm in a low oven until I was ready to serve.


 ARE YOU KIDDING ME??? I think I won the award that night for the best Thursday breakfast for dinner night...EVER!  Just sayin'   LOL


For other delicious #TwelveLoaves recipes and MORE, check out the following delicious blogs and bloggers. I promise you will be wonderfully inspired.

Barb from Creative Culinary
Jamie from Life's A Feast





Share/Bookmark

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder