11 Kasım 2012 Pazar

How to Grow Chrysanthemums {Garden}

To contact us Click HERE

I love flowers! I love color in my Garden! I love Chrysanthemums!

Today I enjoyed another great day of that perfect Fall Las Vegas weather and planted the most beautiful shade of Red Chrysanthemums around my trees.  They are the same color as my front door and garden bench and compliment them so well.  I like planting some red as a splash of color here and there, since many of the flowers in my garden tend to be white, pink and purple.   Living in the desert, I find myself somewhat limited to the flowers that thrive here in my garden.  Keeping a beautiful flower garden can be a lot more work than in many of the other planting zones found around the world.  I have time to pamper a few flowers but really rely on the hardy plants and flowers to look great with little maintenance on my part.  I have worked very hard to have the look and feel of an English Country Garden at my home, that just happens to be in the desert, and still try to be water-smart.  One of the ways to do that is by grouping spots of colorful flowers in between the green and other areas of your landscape.  Chrysanthemums are one of the easiest, and hardiest, of flowers to grow. 

Reasons that Chrysanthemums are great for you Garden

*   One of the easiest to grow.
*   One of the hardiest flowers. 
*   When not in bloom the leaves stay green and provide ground cover.
*   They come back every year and multiply, like your bulb flowers.
*   They come in a variety of colors and sizes.
*   They have multiple blooms on each plant.
*    They are ever-blooming during the growing Season.  

For these reasons, Chrysanthemums are great for both the first time and also the more experienced, but busy gardener.  They are Perennials that grow and bloom over the spring and summer, die back every autumn and winter, and then return in the spring.  Here in the desert, where we have two growing seasons, you will be able to enjoy having your Chrysanthemums bloom around Thanksgiving and then again early in the Summer.  A Fall Garden can be one of the best that you will ever plant.

 Growing Tips

*   They love the Sun and bloom better in it than in shade.
*   They respond well to plenty of plant food and moisture.
*   Many varieties to choose height, color and times to bloom.
*   They will die back if you have snow or a heavy frost so cut them back if that happens.
*   Plants should be 18 inches apart leaving room to spread.
*   When plants reach 6 inches tall, pinch off top 1 inch to promote bushier plants.
*   When the plant grows to 1 foot then cut back another inch again, unless you see buds.
*   If you have no time and never trim them, they will be just fine too!
*   Remember in the desert they bloom early Summer and then again in late Fall.
*   Snip the ends off after bloom fades.
*   You can divide them if they become overcrowded from growth, just as with a bulb flower.

For more information you can also check out the National Chrysanthemum Society to see if they have a chapter near you to join.  Have you ever grown Chrysanthemums in your garden?  If not just go out and get some.  It's Fall and now is the perfect time to plant them and let them get their roots down before the harsh Summer comes back again.  So tell me, what color will YOU get?



Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder