2 Ekim 2012 Salı

Peach Almond Upside-Down Cake

To contact us Click HERE
When I saw a picture of this cake in a magazine recently, I just new I had to make to it accompany my Maple Pistachio Ice Cream (or was it the other way around?). No matter.  The two went wonderfully well together and were a definite delight to the taste buds.

Take full advantage of summertime's bounty of fresh, ripe peaches while you still can, and make this cake. You'll be glad you did!


PEACH ALMOND UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE

1 stick butter, softened (plus more for the pan)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 medium peaches, pitted and sliced
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup almond flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
3/4 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon heavy cream

-Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
-Lightly butter a 9 inch round cake pan.


-In a medium side saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter.
-Add 3/4 cups sugar, 1 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon heavy cream.  Cook stirring occasionally until the sugar has completely dissolved and the mixture is a deep golden brown (8-11 minutes).
-Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and tilt to evenly coat the bottom.
-Arrange the sliced peach wedges snugly, and attractively, to fit the bottom of the pan.



-In the bowl of a stand mixer, or in a large bowl with a hand mixer, beat the remaining butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy.
-Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
-Beat in the vanilla and almond extracts.
-In a separate bowl, add the flour, almond flour, baking powder and salt.
 -Beat the dry flour mixture into the wet ingredients in batches, taking alternate turns with the milk and ending with the flour mixture (making sure to scrape down your bowl on occasion).
-Spread the batter evenly over the peaches in the prepared pan.


-Bake in your preheated oven for approximately 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
-Allow to cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes and then invert onto a place and let it cool completely until you're ready to serve.

**NOTE- One thing I might suggest to you (that I didn't do but learned that I should have), before you invert your cake onto a serving plate, take a moment to slice the domed cake top (flush) as evenly as possible with the sides of the cake pan.  Use a serrated knife to do this. It certainly doesn't have to be perfect, just to give your cake a bit more of an even bottom so that when you invert it, it sits nicely and won't crack the top peach part of your design due to having an uneven bottom.  Make sense?


See the crack? It's in the back because I was trying to hide it from the camera (but I fessed up anyway so you won't have the same problems I did)!

Sadly I don't have any "beauty shots" of this cake, sliced on a plate with a giant scoop of ice cream.  We had company that day and truth be told, I think they think I'm pretty odd with constantly setting up my food for photos.  That, and I just plain forgot! HA!

I think you'll enjoy the flavors of this cake.  It's light, summery and very flavorful.  I hope you'll try it!



Share/Bookmark

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder