29 Eylül 2012 Cumartesi

Reuben Roll for #TwelveLoaves

To contact us Click HERE
This is my first time participating in the #TwelveLoaves challenge (For The Love Of Bread). With yeast doughs being my favorite thing to make in my kitchen, I just knew I had to join in the fun!!! 


This month's challenge was hosted by Barb over at  Creative Culinary,  Jamie over at Life's A Feast  and Lora of Cake Duchess and the theme for September was...CHEESE! Cheese and bread? What could be better?

After I'd decided to join in on the fun, I needed a recipe I could really sink my teeth into.

I found a recipe called "Ruben Buns" in a copy of Southern Living cookbook (the 1988 annual edition) that I found at our local Goodwill store for only $2   WooHoo!

At first look, I wasn't planning on changing the recipe up too very much (except for adding some shredded Swiss cheese into the dough).  However when I got to the point where it tells you to refrigerate the rye dough BEFORE its first rise, I came to a screeching halt!

No sir! Not in my kitchen! It seemed a little to risky and I didn't have the time (or ingredients) to make something else if the refrigeration process killed the yeast.  I just couldn't chance it.

That's not to say that the recipe wouldn't have worked perfectly well. It's just to say that I'm from the school of thought where proofing my yeast doughs in warm, draft free places is best....so that's what I decided to do.

After that decision was made, the entire recipe morphed into something completely different (funny how that works) and I just started making things up as I went along. 

 I must tell you,  I couldn't have been happier with the taste and the results!

REUBEN ROLL

3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 cup rye flour
1 package (2 1/4 teaspoons) yeast
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 cup canola oil
1 egg, beaten
8 ounces of Swiss cheese, divided
10-12 ounces corned beef, diced
1 (8 oz) can sauerkraut, drained well
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup ketchup
2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
salt and pepper to taste
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water

-In the bowl of your stand mixer, combine the all purpose flour, rye flour, yeast, fennel, caraway seeds and salt.
-In a heavy saucepan, combine the buttermilk, oil and sugar.
-Heat the milk mixture over medium low heat until warm to the touch. Remove from heat.
-Using the dough hook, slowly add the warm milk mixture, and the beaten egg, to the flour mixture. Knead at medium speed until the mixture forms a ball. **Note - you may need to add more all-purpose flour if your dough is too sticky.  If needed, add it in a few tablespoons at a time.
-Add in half of the Swiss Cheese and mix just until the cheese is combined throughout the dough.
-In a greased bowl, add the dough ball and cover with plastic wrap.


 -Allow to rise in a warm, draft free place for approximately 1 hour or until the dough is doubled in volume.
-After the first rise, punch the down down and allow to rest for just a few moments.
-In a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Set aside.
-On a floured surface, roll the dough out to form a large rectangle (approximately 18" x 12")



-Using an offset spatula or the back of a spoon, spread the mayonnaise mixture over the dough, leaving a 1" border around the entire surface.
-Evenly add a layer or corned beef, sauerkraut and the remainder of the shredded Swiss Cheese.


-Carefully roll up the dough from the longest side forming a long loaf. You may need to use some finesse to gently squeeze whatever ingredients try to sneak out as you roll.
-Place the roll seam side down on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper.
-Once again, allow the dough to rise in a warm, draft free place for approximately another 30 minutes.


-Preheat oven to 350 degrees
-Carefully brush the top of the loaf with the egg and water mixture.
-Bake the loaf for approximately 45 - 50 minutes or until its beautifully, golden brown.



 -Allow the loaf to cool completely before slicing (it will be hard to wait, but it is so worth it)!!!


Cheesy, savory, tangy, sweet and so pretty!  Now this is worth baking!!!  Maybe serve this at an Oktoberfest party to feed a crowd or slice it in smaller portions as an appetizer for that Superbowl party you're hosting...either way, you'll be a complete winner when you break out this Reuben Roll!!!

Whoever thought of this #TwelveLoaves challenge is brilliant! I can hardly wait to see what next months secret ingredient add-in will be.  So far, the cheese is my favorite :)










Share/Bookmark

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder