23 Eylül 2012 Pazar

Easy Homemade Soft Pretzels

I feel like I am a total failure when it comes to anything bread. Yeast and I just do not like each other.

To be honest, I've had this recipe written down (no idea where I got it from!) on a yellow post-it note for years and have never attempted making it. As I was randomly flipping through some of my fifty-zillion recipes, I saw this one and thought, "hmmm...do I dare try this?" I knew my boys would love shaping them into pretzel shapes but I was worried about the dough and if I could get it to rise, could I knead it okay, etc. Oh my goodness. This was SUCH an easy recipe to make!!! Don't let the length of directions scare you away! If you've never before made homemade soft pretzels, TRY THIS RECIPE!!

It has few ingredients and you can add whatever toppings your family/kids/you like to the top. We will definitely be making these again. Forget Wetzel Pretzel's expensive pretzels in the mall! Make 'em at home! Here's what you need and how to put them together:

EASY HOMEMADE SOFT PRETZELS:
Click HERE for Printable Recipe

Ingredients for pretzels:
  • 4 tsp. active dry yeast
  • 1 tsp. white sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups warm water (soothing warm, about 110 degrees)
  • 5 cups flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. vegetable/canola oil
Ingredients for baking soda solution:
  • 1/2 cup baking soda
  • 4 cups hot water
Directions:
  1. Combine the yeast, white sugar and warm water together in a small bowl. Let stand for 10 minutes until creamy.
  2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl or kitchenaid, mix the flour, sugar and salt. Make a well in the center and add the oil and creamy yeast mixture. Mix together - I used my hands. If dry (which mine was...) add 1 Tbsp. water to mixture.
  3. Knead by hand for 7 minutes. This is a great way to work out your arms! ;) (Click HERE for a good youtube video on how to knead) or if using a Kitchenaid mixer, use the knead attachment for about 4-5 minutes. Place kneaded dough in an oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let sit for one hour until doubled in size.
  4. After the dough has doubled, roll it out onto a floured surface using a rolling pin to make it into a large rectangle. Take a pizza cutter and slice vertically into 1" - 1 1/2" slices. Take each slice and roll into a snake-like long rope, slightly longer than your body.
  5. To shape into a pretzel, I used THIS video on youtube to help me. (You can skip to 1:18 on the video to see instructions) It's super easy! Even my eight-year old was whipping out pretzels like a pro!
  6. After your pretzels are shaped, mix up your baking soda solution. Using a spatula, dip each pretzel into the solution then place on parchment paper covered & sprayed cookie sheets. Sprinkle with coarse salt**. This recipe makes anywhere around 10-12 pretzels depending on the size.
  7. Let pretzels sit for about 20 minutes on baking sheets and then bake in preheated 450 F degree oven for 8 minutes. Then ENJOY your yummy creation!
**We sprinkled cinnamon & sugar on the top of some of the pretzels before we baked them, but next time we will definitely wait until after they are cooked (omitting the coarse salt step) and brush with butter and then sprinkle the top of the pretzel with cinnamon & sugar because the sugar on the parchment melted and burned the bottom of the pretzels. :(

Click HERE to print this recipe.If you liked this recipe, PIN it! It would be wonderful if you followed me (via GFC) on the right hand side--> I'm also on PINTEREST and FACEBOOK too! Thanks! :)



LINKING THIS RECIPE TO THESE FUN PARTIES:Tastetastic Thursday, Full Plate Thursday, Tasty Thursday, Frugal Food Thursday, Stop, Look & Link Party, Fantabulous Friday, Flaunt it Friday, Friday Fun Party, Keep Calm & Link Up, Saturday Show & Tell, Spotlight Saturday, Strut Your Stuff Saturday, Mix It Up Monday, Tuesday Talent Show, Trick or Treat Tuesday, Tasteful Tuesday, Crazy Sweet Tuesday, From Dream to Reality,

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder