5 Temmuz 2012 Perşembe

Asian-Glazed Drumsticks

To contact us Click HERE
When I was younger, raw chicken was possibly the most disgusting thing in the entire world. I remember my mom prepping a whole chicken for dinner and looking on in horror as she touched - OMG she touched it! - that slimy, sticky bird that somehow turned into something oh-so-delicious for our evening meal. And if she requested my help? Forget about it. I would have no part in such morbid activities and I certainly made my opinion of partaking in such activities well-known.
Why do I bring up such a memory? I had to laugh this evening as I was preparing tonight's dinner. The recipe called for removing the skin from the drumsticks... No easy feat. As I'm pulling and yanking and wrestling with each piece, I could just sense my 10-year old self staring at my now 27-year old self with wonder and disbelief. Who have I become!

















Lucky for me, such activities are not off-limits these days, and I'm able to whip together a nice weeknight meal of Asian-glazed drumsticks and Chinese fried rice without batting an eye. Because I don't think I could live without these drumsticks in my life. Sticky, sweet, spicy and delicious. And surprisingly healthy at only around 115 calories per drumstick. Score!
Ingredients7-8 chicken drumsticks, skin removed2/3 c. water1 tsp. Srirachi hot sauce5 Tbs. balsamic vinegar5 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce2 1/2 tsp. white sugar3 cloves garlic, finely minced2 tsp. fresh, grated ginger2 Tbs. chives and/or scallions, chopped1 tsp. sesame seedssalt and pepper to taste
DirectionsIn a small bowl, combine water, Srirachi, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, garlic and ginger. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
Lightly salt and pepper the drumsticks. In a large cast iron skillet, brown chicken over high heat for three to four minutes. Add sauce and cook on high heat until boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 20 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove cover, bring heat back to high to reduce sauce, about 10 to 12 minutes, turning chicken occasionally. With about two minutes left, remove chicken to a platter and continue to reduce sauce until it becomes a thick glaze. Pour over chicken. Top with chives, scallions and/or sesame seeds. Enjoy!
Recipe adapted slightly from Gina's Skinny Taste. Thanks Gina!

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder